Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Ooh, what a great book!  Why did I read it, you ask?  We had a six hour road trip on the horizon, and I needed an audio book that was safe for little listening ears.  Voila! 

I am familiar with Laura's autobiographical stories from my childhood, but that was twenty years ago, so in many respects, it was like I read this book for the first time.  I enjoyed it, it made the time pass quickly, and I learned so much history!  Plus, overall my 2 and 4 year-old boys did not complain while it was playing!  : )

Laura has such a beautiful and detailed way of describing life in her neck of the woods (pun intended-ha!).  How on earth did she remember all those details such as the colors and patterns of her aunts' dresses at the dance?  I'm surely impressed!

I also enjoyed learning the how-tos of churning butter, making bullets, smoking meat, etc.  I will borrow a phrase from amazon.com's review: it's a painless history lesson! 

This is a staple for childhood, but it is a great read for every age! 

Heather

1 comment:

  1. I re-read it last year with my 8 year old son, and then this year, during our summer road trip, we made stops in Wisconsin and De Smet, South Dakota. So fun! They are wonderful, timeless stories.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave some comment love.