Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Adolescent Literature Course at IWU

I graduated from Indiana Wesleyan University, a Christian school in Marion, Indiana.  While there, I took the course Adolescent Literature with Dr. McCracken.  I loved it!  Throughout the years, I've kept touch with him through emails asking him to send me the titles on his new syllabus.

Here is the list he sent me in the spring. My goal is to finish the list by the end of the summer.

  1. A Step from Heaven by An Na
  2. Girl Coming in for a Landing by April Halprin Wayland
  3. Inexcusable by Chris Lynch
  4. Homeless Bird by Gloria Whelan
  5. Monster by Walter Dean Myers
  6. American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
  7. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
  8. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
  9. Stones in Water by Donna Jo Napoli
  10. True Believer by Virginia Euwer Wolff
  11. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
  12. The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey
If you'd like to join me, feel free!  I love feeling like a college student again!  Instead of reading the book and writing an essay on it, I read the book and write about it on my blog!

The down side is that I miss out on the classroom time with my professor.  I am anxiously awaiting his response to my email asking why he chose some of these books for a course at a Christian university.  A Step from Heaven, True Believer, and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian--all of which I've reviewed on this blog-- are troublesome.
 
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave some comment love.