Saturday, August 7, 2010

Monster by Walter Dean Myers

On the IWU course syllabus = required reading.  I would NOT have read this book otherwise. 

Reason #1) Court room novel
Reason #2) Premise: Did black teenager assist armed robbery of Harlem convenient store?  This topic is so far removed from my day-to-day life that I don't connect with it. 

The novel did manage to hold my attention, and I was on the edge of my seat awaiting the jury's decision at the end.  This could be a very useful teaching tool for freshman and sophomore students.  It brings up questions of morality, truthfulness, integrity, and friendships.  Expect ambiguity about the main character's role in the armed robbery.  It's a perfect ending for an essay topic, but a frustrating one for a lady who just wants to read a story.

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave some comment love.